The Goldwater Scholarship
For outstanding juniors and sophomores who intend to pursue basic research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering.
- Campus Pre-Application Deadline: mid-October 2021 -- this is the time by which you should register your interest with Undergraduate Research and also start your Goldwater online application
- Campus Final Application Deadline: Monday, 29 November 2021, 3PM PST **SUBMIT EARLY: This deadline is strict**
- Application Workshop: Thursday, 14 October 2021, 4:00-5:00pm PST via Zoom (link)
- Eligible expenses for tuition, fees, books, and room + board, up to a maximum of $7,500 annually
- Sophomore scholarship recipients are eligible for a maximum of two years of scholarship support; Junior scholarship recipients are eligible for one year of scholarship support
- Campus liaison: Kristín Black, Academic Advising
- More information at: The Barry Goldwater Scholarship Program national website
- Nomination by Stanford through Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education (VPUE)
- Open to full-time registered sophomores and juniors who intend to pursue basic research careers in mathematics, the natural sciences, or engineering
- While the Goldwater Foundation requires a GPA of at least a "B" or the equivalent, and that applicants be in the upper fourth of their class, the selection process is highly competitive and experience indicates that only students with a GPA of 3.6 and above can expect to be successful in the competition
- US citizen, resident alien, or US national from American Samoa or the Commonwealth of the Mariana Islands
How to Apply
The following steps must be completed for an application to be considered for campus nomination:
- Register with Undergraduate Research to participate in the campus competition.
- Thoroughly read all materials found at the Barry M. Goldwater Scholarship Website. In addition, take note of the campus application process described below.
- Complete the Goldwater Pre-Application by the Campus Pre-application deadline to receive timely login access to the full application. (Students who miss the campus pre-application deadline must contact firstname.lastname@example.org directly to request login access.)
- Consult with the campus liaison, Kristín Black, regarding your draft application and intended letters of recommendation.
- Consult with your faculty mentor and other advisors about the writing of your application.
- Request three letters of recommendation. By the Campus Application deadline, letters must be sent directly by the writer to email@example.com.
- The Goldwater foundation requires letters to be formatted in a very specific way. Please provide the following Application Tips to your recommenders before they compose their letters on your behalf.
- Please have your mentors save the signed letter as a PDF file and send the completed Letter of Recommendation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Begin this process early to give your mentors enough time to meet the campus deadline.
- See Tips for Soliciting Letters of Recommendation.
- Before the Campus Application deadline:
- Submit a complete application online via the online Goldwater application portal (this will include your full application which includes your Student Profile and a 3-page Research Essay which should follow Goldwater's formatting guidelines).
- Download the "Fellowship Nomination Permission Form and Waiver." Sign, scan, and return an electronic copy to email@example.com.
- Request an electronic version of all undergraduate official transcripts to be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Submit one copy of your Resident Card, if applicable, to email@example.com.
- Three letters of recommendation (submitted directly by your references, see note 6 above).
**If you are selected as a Stanford nominee, you will work with the campus liaison and other advisors to refine your online application in early Winter Quarter.
Note: Late applications will NOT be accepted without prior approval.
A committee of VPUE staff and faculty will review applications and select a maximum of four campus nominees.
You are strongly encouraged to consult with your faculty mentors about the application, and with Academic Advisors who have experience with this competition. You may also schedule an appointment with the Goldwater campus liaison.
- Read sample application essays available at any of the following Academic Advising offices: Sweet Hall first floor; the AARC; the office of the Academic Advising Director of your residence
- Join the Fellowships email list for announcements on this and other opportunities
- View Tips for Soliciting Letters of Recommendation
- Get information on how to request your electronic transcript from Stanford
- Get feedback from consultants at the Hume Center for Writing and Speaking on your essays