Stanford VPUE STEM Fellows Program
2022-2023 VPUE STEM Fellows
Nominations for the 12th cohort of the VPUE STEM Fellows Program will open on Tuesday, November 1st. Stanford staff and faculty are invited to nominate sophomores and first-year transfer students who are interested in pursuing a career in basic science research. For more information, email email@example.com.
- The deadline to submit a nomination for the 2022-23 academic year is Monday, November 28, 2022.
- Nominated students will be invited to prepare an application in early December. This application is due on Monday, January 30, 2023.
About STEM Fellows
With funding from the Office of the Vice Provost of Undergraduate Education, the Stanford Undergraduate STEM Fellows Program cultivates the skills and interest of students who seek to promote diversity (broadly defined) in STEM fields, with the goal of increasing the diversity of the future professoriate. We are especially interested in nomination of students from groups that have been historically excluded from participation in STEM research.
The STEM Fellows Program offers:
- Participation in a cross-disciplinary scholarly community
- Stipend for summer research (Sophomore year)
- Quarterly stipend to support research and graduate school preparation during Junior and Senior year
- Mentorship from current Stanford graduate students
- Financial support for applying to graduate school including GRE books and test fees, graduate school application fees, etc. (up to $500)
- Participation in workshops that give a general introduction to research culture, applying for research funding, writing personal statements, and graduate school applications
Who is a "Sophomore"? For the purposes of the STEM Fellows program, “Sophomore” means that the student has completed a minimum of 3, maximum of 5, full-time quarters of enrollment over their entire Stanford career by the end of Autumn 2021. As long as they meet this condition, they may be nominated even if they have taken a Leave of Absence.
Transfer students in their first year of study at Stanford are also eligible for the program upon nomination by faculty or staff.
Questions about the program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.